Pet Travel

As the UK is now leaving the EU on 1st January 2021, Pet Travel regulations are changing.  Click here for the latest government advice. 

Following the end of the EU Exit transition period on 31 December 2020 the current UK branded EU Pet Passport will no longer be valid for travel to EU Member States including the Republic of Ireland (ROI). However, under the terms of the Northern Ireland Protocol agreed between the EU and the UK the current EU Pet Travel Scheme continues to apply to Northern Ireland (NI).

Brexit pet passportWhat this means in practical terms is that NI pet owners intending to travel with their pets to the EU (including the ROI) will continue to be required to ensure their pets are prepared in accordance with the EU Pet Travel Scheme including the requirement for a valid EU Pet Passport. The requirement for a valid Pet Passport also applies to pets returning to NI from mainland Great Britain (GB) from 1 January 2021.

Travelling from Belfast to Scotland, England or Wales does not require a Pet Passport, but a Pet Passport or valid Animal Health Certificate issued in GB, is required to come back into NI.


Current EU UK pet passports are invalid for travel after 1st January. You must get your current passport updated with the new EU UK (NI) pet passport labelling, Contact us for more information on how to do get your passport updated

What you need to do before you travel with your pet dog, cat or ferret;

  • Microchip must be fitted and checked
  • Rabies vaccine – pet must be microchipped prior to vaccination, must be over 12 weeks old, and it must be given at least 21 days before the 1st entry into another EU country
  • Pet Passport (designated as EU UK (NI))
  • Approved travel arrangements, Entry into NI must be through an approved Travellers Point of Entry
  • If coming into NI (not if travelling from ROI) – Dogs require a tapeworm treatment 1-5 days before entry  – must be administered by a vet and your pet passport completed and signed. (A tapeworm treatment is not required before travelling out of NI to another EU country, or GB. A tapeworm treatment is needed if coming into NI from GB)
  • If your travel arrangements start in GB and you do not have an EU UK(NI) Pet Passport, then you will need an Animal Health Certificate, issued by an official vet, which allows 4 months onward travel within the EU and must be issued within 10 days of leaving GB. Requirements are the same as for a Pet Passport.
  • Some travel companies require a Fitness to Travel certificate


333PETS enforces protection against the major zoonotic (diseases that pass between humans and animals) diseases – Rabies and Echinococcus multilocularis (a tapeworm), but it does not consider any of the multitude of diseases that exist in many European countries, but not in NI, that can infect your pet while on holiday.

Many of these diseases can be life threatening, especially when your pet has never had any previous exposure, and most are transmitted by biting flies, mosquitoes or ticks.


RabiesAcute, life threatening illnessRabies vaccine
(Legal req.)
Ehrlichia CanisSpread by ticks. Causes chronic or acute disease
Tick Control
Babesia Canis
Spread by ticks. Causes chronic or acute diseaseTick Control
Dirofilaria Immitus “heartworm”
Parasite spread by mosquitoes, causes heart failure etc.Drugs to prevent infection and mosquito control
LeishmaniasisMulti-systemic illness, spread by sand fliesVaccine and control of sand flies
Echinococcus multilocularisMay not affect the dog but significant risk to human healthWorming treatment on return to UK (legal requirement) and every 4 weeks while abroad
May not affect the dog but risk of infection from dog / fox faecesWorming treatment every 4 weeks will prevent infection and shedding


What do I need to do?

Organise your PETS passport etc with plenty of time to spare – Contact DAERA Pet Travel Dept. and Cedarmount for details.

Have a look at where you are travelling to, and what countries you pass through. If you will be in southern Europe particularly then you need to organise protection against, ticks, biting flies and heartworm.

  • Milbemax – every 4 weeks will prevent heartworm infection and treat tapeworms (including Echinococcus).
  • Advantix – every 2 weeks will help repel sand flies and mosquitoes. This also kills and repels ticks.
  • Nexgard – every 4 weeks will kill ticks and fleas.
  • Nexgard Spectra – every 4 weeks will control roundworms, heartworm, fleas and ticks (but not tapeworms)
  • Seresto or Scalibor collars are effective long term control for ticks, fleas, and biting flies.

222No spot-on treatments or collars will stop all insect bites or ticks. Check your pet daily and remove any ticks found, stay away from forests, wetlands etc and keep your dog indoors at night. Vapouriser repellents etc. can help indoors.

  • Canileash vaccine against leishmaniasis.

Dogs must be over 6mths old, primary course is 3 injections 3 weeks apart and immunity is complete 4 weeks after this course Immunity lasts for a year. Single annual booster.

For more information please contact:

DAERA NI Pet Travel

[genericon icon=phone][telnumlink]028 77442 141[/telnumlink]

[genericon icon=mail][email protected]

If you are moving to another country outside the EU different rules may apply and official export documentation may be required. Please check with DAERA NI etc for details as soon as you can.

Other Travel Considerations – wherever you are going

  • Bring your pet in for a health check in advance of your journey (please call for an appointment)
  • Obtain specific advice from your vet on pregnant animals.
  • Speak to your carrier, if appropriate, in advance to establish their conditions and ensure you have all the relevant paperwork.
  • Sedation for your pet is rarely a good idea. Ask us for advice. There are calming pheromones and treatments to minimise anxiety which are allowed despite the current airline ferry company regulations prohibiting sedation.
  • Give your pet a light meal about 2 hours before travelling.
  • Check that your pet will have access to fresh water.
  • Use a suitable crate or container that allows your pet to stand, sit and lie down in a natural position, and to turn around easily. The container should contain absorbent bedding and provide ample ventilation. A familiar toy or blanket can provide comfort. We strongly recommend you check any specific regulations imposed by the carrier.
  • Ensure your pet will not be exposed to extreme temperatures.
  • Try to mimic your pets sleeping habits by travelling at night.

What does it cost?

Cedarmount has charges for completing and issuing the passport, for advice on travelling with your pet and the necessary health checks. (The charges may vary depending on your destination as different countries require different paperwork etc).

  • Rabies vaccination and health check, £62.53
  • Pet Passport Issue and advice, £50.00
  • Amending existing Pet Passports to EU UK(NI), £25
  • (Prices Dec 2020)