Please, take some time to read our placement information before making your application.
We are a Student Friendly Veterinary Practice
The future of veterinary practice depends on encouraging new vets and nurses to join the profession. As a leading small animal veterinary practice, Cedarmount is keen to develop interest in students, from school age upwards, allowing them to experience the ups, and downs, of life in a busy veterinary practice.
We provide work experience placements for school age students, especially those who already have an interest in a career in the animal care industry. As a student you can expect to experience a wide variety of treatments, from state-of-the-art laparoscopy to routine procedures. All of our Registered Veterinary Nurses and Vets are very experienced and are happy to answer your questions.
We are part of the Independent Vetcare EMS Programme for veterinary students. The EMS programme has been developed in close collaboration with IVC clinical teams, recent graduates, practice managers and university academics, ensuring that students have practical experience of a wide range of essential skills.
We are a veterinary nurse Training Practice but do not have any vacancies at this time.
Have a Question?
If you have any questions about Work Experience that we don’t answer on this page, please get in touch.
Why Choose Us
Friendly and experienced staff who are happy to answer your questions
Experience a wide variety of small animal cases
See modern technologies in use
Frequently Asked Questions
Work Experience – Placement Information
You may have the opportunity to observe, assist and be involved with the following activities:
- Assisting vets and nurses
- Assisting with cleaning cages, equipment and areas.
- Assisting staff with sterilizing instruments
- Assisting with grooming.
- Assisting with exercising animals.
- Assisting with feeding, preparation of food and water.
- Assisting with the seeing-in and sorting/storing of stock deliveries.
- Undertaking tasks in the laboratory, under supervision.
Observations and Learning Opportunities:
- Learning about different animals, breeds, types etc.
- Learning various aspects of animal care.
- Learning about equipment and medicines used in animal care.
- Learning about the animal products sold.
- Learning how to handle/hold different types of animals safely.
- Observation of some operations.
- Observation of some vet and nurse consultations.
- Observation of various treatments and procedures that are carried out.
- Observation of administration of medicines.
- Learning about the personal qualities and qualifications required for personnel in this area of work.
Hours of attendance:
- Monday to Friday.
- Within the hours of 9am to 5pm.
- One hour lunch break.
- Smart / casual / Comfortable.
- Closed in shoes / trainers.
- No excessive jewelry.
- No facial piercing.
- No false nails.
- PPE will be provided and must be worn.
- STUDENTS MUST BE AWARE OF ANIMALS BEING UNPREDICTABLE
- STUDENTS MUST NOTIFY THE PRACTICE IF LEAVING THE BUILDING
Work Experience Questionnaire
Please, download, complete and return the Work Experience Medical Questionnaire.
THIS FORM MUST BE COMPLETED BEFORE COMMENCEMENT OF PLACEMENT OTHERWISE THE PLACEMENT OPPORTUNITY WILL BE CANCELLED