We offer in-house quantitative progesterone levels, and can also perform cytology in special cases to help identify the optimum time for mating.
The level of progesterone is important in predicting the best time to mate a bitch.
This can be especially helpful in bitches who failed to hold to a previous mating, and for ones which have to travel a significant distance to the stud dog. As the progesterone levels change daily, if is often necessary to take multiple samples every 1-2 days to look for an increasing trend which can give an indication of the time of ovulation.
|Anoestrus / pro oestrus
||Re-test 2-4 days
|Pre LH surge
|Re-test in 2-4 days
|Re-test 1-2 days
|Post LH surge / preovulation
|Re-test 1-2 days
|At or near Ovulation
|Determine breeding schedule
(Idexx Catalyst Progesterone)
Just like in people, dogs can still vary within these guidelines so there is no guarantee of success, we can only try to optimise timings.
Progesterone can also be used to aid in predicting whelping time as it falls below a certain level 24 to 48 hours before whelping.
Please ask for pricing structure – these vary between breed and clinical situation.
Whelping – when is she due?
Sometimes it is desirable to know exactly when a bitch is due eg. in Bulldogs when we almost expect to perform a Caesarian section.
Progesterone testing can assist:
- Prog < 1ng/ml – Ready to whelp, most within 24hrs
- Prog <2ng/ml – Likely to whelp within 48 hrs
- Prog >5 ng/ml Not yet ready – retest 2 days??
Canine Herpes Vaccination
An important cause of apparent infertility or of “Fading Puppy Syndrome”
Breeder Services Maximising litter viability Canine Herpes Vaccination
This vaccine can effectively prevent these problems, and can dramatically increase litter size and viability – we strongly recommend this to all our breeders. The first injection is given soon after mating, and a second 6-7 weeks later.
Pregnancy Diagnosis in The Bitch
- The vet can examine the abdomen by careful manual palpation – this is easiest from day 21-24 – the biggest source of error in this technique is associated with small litter sizes, and/or tense abdominal muscles.
- We can also perform a pregnancy ultrasound scan using our dedicated sector scanner – this is best done between day 28 and 32. We will not predict exact litter size for you – sound bounces around and false echoes can be misleading!!
- In rare cases when doubt still remains, a blood test based on serum relaxin can be performed to confirm a pregnancy (best from day 28).
- Intrauterine parasite control – all pups get worms from mum, even before they are born and in the first few days of life – we strongly recommend pre-treating mum during the last third of her pregnancy – ideally from day 42 post-mating.
Please ask for advice on the latest product recommendation.