Can your pet help?
Blood Transfusions are often a life saving, emergency procedure. We would love to have a few local donors who we could call in these sort of situations. There are 2 main blood groups in dogs. We can do a simple blood type test so we know what type of blood is best suited in each case. It is a straightforward procedure to obtain the blood from a donor.
If you would like your dog to be considered as a blood donor there are certain criteria that they need to meet.
- be aged between one and eight years old
- weigh more than 25kg
- never have travelled abroad
- be up to date on all vaccinations
- be fit and healthy
- not be on any medication
- have a good temperament (quiet, manageable dogs need no sedation to donate)
- not have had a litter of puppies
- live close to the clinic, as we would often be contacting you in an emergency situation.
If your dog meets all of the above criteria, we would love you to volunteer! We do not store donated blood, but rather collect and use it as needed, often in a life-threatening situation. No payment is made for the donated blood. We do not charge for the blood when transfusing a patient, although there is a charge applied to cover collection and administration of the blood. All donors would be blood-typed at the time of collection to ensure they are a safe match.
Interested?.....then all we need is:
- your pet's name
- your name
- an emergency contact number - your mobile is perfect!
Please leave us a private message on our facebook page or contact Emma at the clinic 02891271364 if you wish to be added to our donor list.
THANK YOU !